How to Shoo the Flu This Winter
Have you danced with the flu yet this year? Along with the damp chill sweeping in, so are a horde of cold and flu strains. It’s high time to support and boost your immune system by following a healthy lifestyle that includes proper nourishment, regular exercise, quality sleep, healthy stress management, and targeted nutrients and herbs.
I just did my own little tango with a the "onset" of flulike symptoms over the last 2 days. I admit, I have not been doing my due diligence of "flu prevention". I was committed to nip it in the bud, because right now I can't risk getting sick with preparing to take my dad for cancer treatment. So, I pulled out my "can't get sick now arsenal" to chase the buggers away. Low and behold, it worked! I am a bit tired today, but feeling TONS better! Also included in the latter part of this blog for you is a great resource called “The 7 Essential “In’s & Outs” of Boosting Your Immunity. Super handy.
Here is basically what I did:
- 2 Allicillin + 2 Oregano Oil 3 times a day on an empty stomach (AM/Afternoon/PM)
- 23 mg of zinc 2 times a day with Breakfast and Dinner
- 15 drops Grapefruit Seed Extract in 1/2 cup water 3 times a day on an empty stomach
- 2500 mg of Buffered C + Bioflavonoid 3 times a day on empty stomach
- 2 Probiotics with Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
- Steaming hot bath for 20 minutes with hot washcloth over my chest. Then bundled up after the bath to keep my core temperature high + sipped on Buffered Vitamin C Beverage in tub to support detox and adrenals + benefit from it's anti-viral properties.
- The "Cold-Like-Flu Chaser" Smoothie 3 times a day. This worked like a charm. Immediately after finishing it I felt 25% better! See below for the recipe
- Rested + Slept!
I did some other things, but those were the main ones. I really caught myself NOT beging prepared for the flu. So, it has reminded to be supported and to remember the “IN’S & OUT’S to supporting my immunity daily.
The 7 Essential "In's & Out's" of Boosting Your Immunity
Tip #1 - Get Your ZZZZZ’s
People who get less than seven hours of sleep at night have a three times higher risk of catching a cold than people who sleep eight hours or more.
Researchers at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania studied 153 people Not mention, lack of sleep instigates weight gain and brain deterioration. This is when our immune systems really go to work for us. So get your zzzzzz’s!!!
Tip #2 – Immune Boosting Vegetables
(If you are not able to attain organic produce, CLICK HERE for the Dirty Dozen Guide to help you make smart choices when choosing non-organic produce that has been grown with pesticides)
- Winter Squash, Yams, Carrots - High in Vitamin C and Beta Carotenes that support your immune system.)
- Leafy Greens (Collard Greens, Kale, Swiss Chard, Spinach) - Loaded with Chlorophyl, Beta Carotene, Fiber and numerous minerals that love to support your immune system.
- Cruciferous Veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, cabbage) - High in Antioxidants, Support detoxification and digestion.
- Alliums – (onions, garlic) – antimicrobial, prevent inflammation, allergies, mucous formation
- Medicinal Mushroom – Reishi, Maitake, Shitake (Enhance and stimulate the Immune System. Anti-viral, anti-bacterial. Great in soups or sautees!)
Tip #3 – Immune Boosting Herbs
Add these beauties to your soups, stews, entrees or even smoothies for immune protective value!
- Garlic – anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, strong antimicrobial action, through the stimulation of white blood cells (the troops of your immunity!)
- Ginger – Anti-inflammatory
- Turmeric – supports liver detoxification, immunity, anti-inflammatory
- Licorice – supports the adrenal, expectorant (helps lungs release mucous). Use with caution if you have high blood pressure.
- Cayenne – immune stimulator, increases circulation, antimicrobial
- Rosemary – Antibacterial, supports detoxifiation
- Oregano – Antibacterial, Antiviral
- Basil – Antibacterial, Antiviral
Tip #4 – Immune Boosting Beverages
The "Flu-Like-Cold Chaser" Smoothie – it works!
Blend the following in blender until smooth:
- 12 oz’s filtered water
- 1 Big Handful Spinach
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 lemon
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 clove of garlic
- ¼ while onion
- ¼ - ½ Tsp of Curry
- ¼ avocado
- sea salt to taste
Perfect to warm you from the inside out with a gentle thermogenic affect!
- Peppermint – Antibacterial, soothing
- Ginger/Lemon Tea – Anti-inflammatory, Antibacterial, Antiviral. Just grate 1 tsp of ginger (or more) and let it steep in a cup of water for 20 minutes. Drain liquid into your tea cup and squeeze in some lemon. Add a pinch of cayenne to at the onset of a cold.
- Chamomile - Rich in a flavonoid packed with antibacterial action.
- Echinacea (do not exceed 3 weeks at a time)
- Throat Coat (By Traditional Medicinals)
- Cold Care (By Traditional Medicinals)
If you have a juicer or even a blender put leafy greens to work with a squeeze of lemon and ginger. This is very alkalizing and nourishing.
Note: Avoid fruit juices. They are straight sugar which feeds viruses.
Add a packet of Emergen-C (stevia sweetened) to your daily water intake. Tasty and supports your immune systems and your adrenals.
Tip #5 - Healthy Fats
Olive Oil – anti-viral, anti-bacterial (don’t cook with this! It is a very delicate oil Just add it to salads or steamed veggies).
Coconut Oil – anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal – great for sautéing.
Red Palm Oil – High in Vitamin A and Beta Carotenes that support the immune system, the lining of the lungs and mucous membranes and the thymus gland.
Tip #6 - Supplement!
- Multi Vitamin – Because our soils are depleted of vital nutrients it is essential to be on a broad spectrum Professional Grade Multi-Vitamin to cover your bases for vitamins and minerals
- Buffered Vitamin C – Fuels the immune system, supports the adrenal glands, liver and kidneys. Contributes to the increased production of white blood cells, antibodies and adequate levels of interferon, which are proteins that are key to prevent multiplication of viruses.
- Probiotics. Did you know that over 80% of your immune system is in your gut? Probiotics help increase your immunity and support the body to resist bacterial and fungal invaders!
- Essential Fatty Acids – Anti-inflammatory and keep the cell membrane fluid and healthy preventing bacteria and viruses from penetrating our cells.
- Allicillin – Antiviral & Antibacterial, yet this does not impact your healthy gut bacteria.
- Oregano Oil – anti-viral and anti-bacterial
- Whey Protein – a VERY tasty way to build up your Immunoglobulins (part of your immune system) and to build tasty shakes! See www.getnourished.net for tasty shake recipes.
- Vitamin D - This super star helps modulate your immune system. Before supplementing get your Vitamin D Levels checked. Ask your doctor for the “25 Hydroxy D” Test.
Tip #7 – Bursting!
This simple, no excuses exercise decreases your cortisol AND raises your Growth Hormone (we love that!). So – it helps boost your immunity, and keeps you looking younger too! It’s super simple – warm up for a few minutes, then go all out for 30-60 seconds and then recover for twice as long. Do this to the extend of no more than 4 minutes total bursting a day. Say goodbye to those long stints on the treadmill and bike. Long endurance activity, actually lowers immunity. So just Burst!
If you feel a cold/flu coming on. Take a HOT, HOT bath for 20 minutes. Immerse your body in the hot water with a hot washcloth over your chest. This will increase your internal temperature and mimick a slight fever to help chase those bugs away. Remember to stay hydrated in the bath with some cool lemon water.
Tip #1 - Out with Alcohol!
Very acidic and high in sugar which viruses and bacteria love! It also, suppresses the immune system, taxes the liver and dehydrates the body.
Replacement - Make your own “Virgin Berry Immune Boosting Cocktail"! Use 8oz Perrier or other sparkling mineral water, add 1 Berry E-Mergency (sugar free-sweetened with Stevia). Tasty and Refreshing!
Tip #2 – Out with Sugar!
Suppresses the immune system for up to 5 hours after consumption.
- Xylitol (it’s antibacterial!)
- Low glycemic fruit
Tip #3 – Out with Processed & Refined Foods!
These are void of nutrients and only deplete your precious reserves, don’t waist your time on them!
Replacement - Instead use fresh vegetables, grains and animal proteins from scratch.
Tip #4 – Out with the Stress!
Suppresses the immune system and releases releases cortisol that hurts our memory and makes us gain weight around our belly.
Replacement - Belly Breathing, Meditation, Relaxation, Qi Gong, Tia Chi, Meditation.
*Research research indicates that when you put your relaxation skills into action, your interleukins (leaders in the immune system that respond to cold and flu viruses) increase in the bloodstream. When you are stressedàyou age prematurely.
Tip #5 – Out with Bad Fats!
Hydrogenated oils, safflower, sunflower, corn oils, canola, soy oil. These oils disrupt your normal biochemistry.
Replacement - See healthy fats!
Tip #6 – Out with Soft Drinks!
These are loaded with chemicals and sugars that suppress your immunity AND make you GAIN weight!
Replacement - “Immune Boosting Cocktail”! Sparkling mineral water + sugar free Emergen-C. Tasty, Refreshing AND it’s boosting your immunity!
Tip #7 – Out with Toxic People!
If there is someone in your life who is taking the wind out of your sales – let them go, at least for now. Give it a few months to give yourself time to determine if they are someone that serves you in your life. Research shows toxic people in your everyday life raises your stress hormone Cortisol and depresses our immunity.
Avoid touching your face, ears, eyes, nose and mouth. Keep your hands clean. Viruses generally aren't spread through the air (unless someone coughs on you), but instead are carried on your hands and then make their way into your body. Hand sanitizers by EO and Clean Well are handy to carry with you and are non-toxic.
If you have any questions or would like guidance on how to customize your "super immunity plan", schedule yourself for an Optimal Health Strategy Session with me. NOW is the time to get supported before the flu has it’s way with YOU!
Here’s to a Healthy & Happy You,
Be well & thrive,